Helping Good People At Their Worst Times

If I go to jail, am I still responsible for child support?

On Behalf of | Apr 15, 2014 | Family Law

Yes. If you are at the time of incarceration ordered to pay child support, you will continue to be obligated to pay it even if you are in jail. In order to temporarily stop paying child support, you must file a Petition to Modify your child support obligation. It doesn’t end automatically. A court can only require a party to pay child support if they have the ability to pay it.