Helping Good People At Their Worst Times

My neighbor and I got into a fight. I want a restraining order. The Judge said since there was only 1 incidence of violence, my request was denied. What can I do?

On Behalf of | Apr 15, 2014 | Family Law

In Florida, if you do not have a relationship with the party against whom you want the restraining order, one altercation will not get you a restraining order. It has to be at least 2. However, you have two options. You can either call the police and request that they issue a trespass warning to your neighbor or file criminal charges against them for battery.  If you choose to issue the warning through law enforcement, if the neighbor comes back to your house, you can file criminal trespass charges against him/her. Or if you choose to file criminal battery charges against the neighbor, if they are arrested the conditions of the bond would typically prevent contact or at the very least their sentence could.