Helping Good People At Their Worst Times

Where can I file a modification of a custody action?

On Behalf of | Jul 2, 2014 | Family Law

The initial answer would be the state that initially had jurisdiction to enter the original order continues to have the best claim for jurisdiction for a modification of the order; however, if both parties have moved from that state, the court’s would look to the home state of the children at that time. A home state is defined as the state in which the child(ren) lived with a parent for the past 6 months.