Helping Good People At Their Worst Times

Is it possible to get a divorce without having to appear in court?

On Behalf of | Nov 13, 2014 | Family Law

Yes. If you and your spouse come to an agreement that is signed by both parties, your attorney can file it with the clerk along with the uncontested checklist, special affidavit and proposed final judgment. The Court will hold it for a short period of time to ensure that the other party does not wish to contest the proposed final judgment, and will then sign it. Keep in mind that if a party defaults, the rules of Family Law Procedure require the party seeking the divorce to appear in court in order to finalize the divorce.