Helping Good People At Their Worst Times

What kind of financial support can I receive after nearly thirty-nine years of marriage? Can I get alimony & funding for college for child graduating this year,husband collects V.A.disability& Social Security.

On Behalf of | Nov 3, 2014 | Family Law

The obligation to provide financial support for a child ends once the child attains the age of 18 unless he/she is enrolled in high school with an expectation of graduating prior to turning 19. Unless a party agrees to provide college funding, a court is without the ability to order it.

Since your marriage has lasted more than 17 years, you are deemed to have a long term marriage and as such a presumption is created that you, if you have a need for it, and your husband has the ability to pay, are entitled to permanent alimony. The actual amount that you would be entitled to will depend on his net monthly income and what your actual need/budget is.