Helping Good People At Their Worst Times

Can I go to jail for not paying child support?

On Behalf of | Mar 17, 2015 | Family Law

This is actually an easy question-YES. If the court can show that the parent who is required to pay support, has the ability to do so or better yet has money in their bank account, the Court can take that parent directly from the courtroom to the jail.  If that parent is lucky, he or she will be given a purge which will allow them an additional amount of time to pay a specific amount. If the amount is not paid, the Court will issue a warrant for that person’s arrest. In Florida, you can stay in jail for up to 6 months for willful non-payment of child support.